What you Need to Know About Your PPO Termination Hearing

In Blog by Chris Kessel

A Personal Protection Order (PPO) is meant to protect the Petitioner from threats or violence. While having a PPO against you does not give you a criminal record, it can severely affect your freedom. A PPO can prevent you from visiting certain locations or communicating with certain people. Violating a PPO can lead to serious criminal charges and arrest. A PPO may also be used against you in a divorce or child custody case.

Filing a Motion to Change or Terminate a PPO

Having a PPO against you can impact several aspects of your life. A PPO can forbid you from entering your home or speaking with your family members, including your children. Fortunately, you might be able to file a motion to modify or terminate the PPO.

A motion can be filed with the court that issued the PPO. Once accepted, a termination hearing will be held. This hearing provides an opportunity for both the Respondent and the Petitioner to tell their sides of the story.

Keep in mind that a judge can sign an ex parte PPO without holding a hearing. Once the ex parte PPO is signed, you only have 14 days to file a motion to change or terminate the PPO. This is true even if you do not receive proper service of the papers.

What to Include in Your Motion

When filing a motion, you will need to let the judge know whether you want the PPO changed or terminated. Any proposed changes must be clearly defined. It’s important to let the judge know if you believe the claims against you are false.

Make sure you include any evidence to support your motion. Print out and attach supporting emails, documents or text messages. It’s crucial to be as honest and accurate as possible when filing a motion to change or terminate a PPO.

Trusted Michigan Lawyer

A PPO can be damaging to your character and your freedom. It can affect your life in many ways. An experienced lawyer can help you file a claim to change or terminate a PPO.

Chris Kessel is one of Michigan’s top PPO attorneys. He can help protect your rights and freedom. Please contact us for more information.